Thursday, March 31, 2011

No Rest for the Weary... The Weary Music Composer That Is. :)

I finally finished the arrangement I was writing!! It took an intense 4 and a half hours in the piano lab today to finally get it finished and sent but it's done!! I wish I had a way to put it on here but since it's a duet/choir arrangement of As Zion's Youth in Latter Days with piano accompaniment that would be just a little hard to get put together... It's absolutely beautiful though. Or at least I think it might be... It's kind of hard to know without actually hearing it with real voices.... Especially since I'm not so good at writing vocal parts yet... And towards the end I was so exhausted I pretty much just started putting whatever first came out of my hands on the music. I was too tired by the time I got done to really be able to decide how much I like it, but I think I do. I think I really, really like it actually. :) I at least know the piano part sounds pretty awesome. :) Ha, ha, is that prideful to say that about something I wrote?... It just makes me happy, that's all. :) I sent it into the Church Music Submission when I got done. That's the whole reason I was working so hard to get it done today. I wasn't planning at all on entering it when I first started working on it, but I had the feeling the other day that I needed to enter it and I've tried to be in the habit of following those feelings, so I have no clue what's going to happen, I honestly am not expecting an award, but hey, at least if something is supposed to happen whether it be an award or something else, I did my part. It's always best to follow those little promptings. Plus, now it's done! It always a cool feeling to have another song finished, especially when it's actually put in the computer and can be printed out.

So just as I was getting ready to finish this one today, I started another song. Except this one is an original and it's on the guitar (or I tried it on the ukulele and it's pretty cool on there too :) ). I think it's going to be called Patches of Blue. :) I've wanted to write a song about that for a while. And today was just one of those days with lots of little good things such as donuts in math class, an encouraging note and candy bar from a friend, a class canceled, a missionary opportunity, a beautiful blue sky and glorious spring weather, being able to help a friend with piano, Tom smiling and saying hi to me when by kind of funny circumstances I happened to walk by him, just little things like that, and I came home from my classes feeling so good about it and just thinking how absolutely awesome Heavenly Father is I decided it was time to write that song. :) I have the chorus so far. Although I think I'm going to explore some other lyric options and possibly tweak it just a little. And also I came home tonight after finishing As Zion's Youth and I couldn't completely remember the melody I had been using for it earlier today... I hate it when that happens. :P But still, I still have enough of it to keep working on it, so I'm pretty excited. Especially because I'm going for the Cheri Call style, I really, really admire her music, it has a lot of influence in my writing style, and when I showed it to Hannah over voice chat earlier, I didn't even tell her that and she said it sounded like Cheri Call. :) So I think I'm headed in the right direction.

You know, I'm kind of excited to see where my music writing takes me. I don't feel like I'm very skilled at it a lot of the time... But hey, you know, I just got to keep writing and I can only get better, right? :) It makes me happy to be able to create music so even if it's only ever just for me, I think I'll stick with it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment