Sunday, November 27, 2011

Now How Did You Mean That?...

I decided it's time to blog more. That usually happens when I delete my facebook. It's like those people who are trying to quit smoking so they wear a Nicotine patch. Always wondered if those really helped.

Random thought on my mind today:

Have you ever had someone give you um... lets call it a comment, because you aren't really sure what it was supposed to be. Like for example today in RS we were singing the opening song. I'm just singing away because I like singing and I liked the hymn. Either no one else was singing or I'm getting closer and closer every day to being one of those old ladies in church who is always singing in a shaky, wanna-be-opera voice and everyone knows exactly who's voice it is. Anyway, either way, the RS President stood up after the opening song and thanked the piano player and the chorister and then thanked me for my beautiful voice. Not the congregation, me. Just me. It makes you wonder... Is that a compliment or a supposed-to-be-discrete hint that I'm drowning everyone else out with my obviously-mine voice?... I'm going to look at the glass half full and say it was a compliment this time.

Then there was that one time when my roommate told me I'm the oldest person she knows who still has VLs. Now how am I supposed to take that? I guess I could always take it as admiration for such an amazing feat of reaching age 20 and never been kissed. Doubt it, not this time. Maybe an extrememly obvious observation that I'm pretty different. If anyone knows that, sister, it's going to be me. Or maybe it's just plain and simple a comment on how I am one of the 3 lame people at Snow College who thinks True Badger night is stupid, and thus refuses to use this convenient solution to my shameful unkissed lips, who wasn't cool enough to get a first kiss when I was in 7th grade from a boyfriend I didn't even like but only agreed to go out with because my friends pressured me into it. Yeah, I'd say that comment probably falls under the last one.

In all honesty I know that those comments are always, at worst, only meant as neutral observations and actually even usually meant as compliments. Still, every once in a while, you just have to wonder, how was I supposed to take that?....

On another note, I haven't heard this song in a while but I listened to it tonight and decided it's going to be my theme song for the next little while. I'm done trying to please people who have no real interest in letting my dreams come true. I'm not walking anymore in those shoes.





P.S. Excuse the slightly cynical post, it's all meant in fun, I promise.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. . . those are always interesting situations. Just yesterday, my friend next to me was belting out the bass part in sacrament meeting and like four guys turned around to stare at him. Just to see who it was, or to show him that he was noticed? I dunno. Also: love the song. Basically, I love ALL her songs. You just keep on following your dreams Em!

    ReplyDelete